- that beans take a loooong time to cook.
- that they're worth the wait.
- that, if you think starting with two POUNDS of dried beans is excessive, you're probably right.
- that people really like baked beans.
- that I actually like baked beans more than I thought!
I had to work hard to chop the carrots, onions, and celery:

Seriously, do you own a food processor yet? No? Go get one. Go now. I don't care if it's midnight; Amazon is open 24 hours a day. Never mind the fact that it can chop anything and everything in mere seconds - you can make cookie dough in this thing!
So yeah. "I" chopped all the veggies. Then I checked the recipe, and my documentarian went to the fridge for a beverage:


How is it that we threw a party and ended up with more beer than when we started? We need less generous (or harder-drinking) friends.
Where was I? Oh yeah. I started sauteing the veggies, then, after a few minutes, added the lentils and a cup of wine:



After that, the lentils cooked slowly, sort of like risotto - a ladleful of liquid at a time. It was fairly slow going, since lentils, like beans, take a long time to absorb liquid and come to the right texure. In the end, we had a nice, tasty dish; the taste of the wine made it particularly rich. Dara ate hers with sauteed spinach, and I had mine over raw spinach with some feta mixed in:


And everyone was happy:
I think that more things from the bbq bear mentioning, including the fact that in addition to beans you made cupcakes, mayo, and a completely spontaneous hot fudge pudding cake at 8pm that was completely devoured by 8:30pm.
ReplyDeleteAlso, here is something I learned about beans: just because they are soaked and boiled(?) does NOT mean that they are cooked.
Now everyone please come over and drink beer. I'll even grill you a burger. Veg OR meat, how about THAT??
Seriously, folks, drink our beer. DRINK IT.
ReplyDeleteOh, I also made a grilled cheese sandwich - actually ON the grill! It turned out tasty, and kinda beefy. Weird, I know.
ReplyDelete